Education is not filling the
pail but
lighting the fire. 

-W.Yeats

When parents consider quality education, we want government schools to be their first choice. 

 

By fostering community participation and ownership, SRI hopes to be a catalyst for positive, long-term and sustainable transformation in government schools. 

We want to achieve this through our Intiatives: 

Nanhe Kalam Fellowship 

AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAM

It’s a 2-year fellowship where a school is selected to aid the learning levels of the students and strengthen the overall pedagogical system. 

 

Two youth fellows are assigned to each school ensuring four hours of learning 6 days a week where we focus on building the aptitude of students in mathematics, language, reasoning and analytical skills which forms key components for JNV entrance exams. Steps are taken to also improve community participation and ownership in the school.

 

The program has proven to increase the confidence of the community in their local government school, resulting in more students getting enrolled each year.

khori_edited.jpg

Why JNV School?

Jawahar Navodhaya Vidhyalas are alternative schools for children from rural areas with special talent and aptitude to pursue quality education. Irrespective of their socio-economic conditions, selected rural children are given an opportunity to grow with their counterparts on an equal footing and make a difference in future.

The Challenges

 

Less than 15% of children from BPL families have been admitted into the JNV, indicating that currently more children from well-off backgrounds are getting into JNVs.  

Only about 20 % children admitted into JNVs are from government schools and the rest 80% hail from private schools indicating a clear trend that more children from private schools get into the JNVs. 

JNV info.png

A student's journey with SRI

Fellow Workshop.JPG

Fellowship 

MENTORSHIP PROGRAM

Our fellowship is a unique model where village youth interested in becoming teachers are given opportunities for pedagogical teaching, practical exposure and immersive learning. They are trained through multiple capacity building workshops and gain relevant skills during the tenure and go on to become capable teachers in both government and private schools.

 

Each year, we select around 20 such youth from each district we work and are mentored for 2 years. Being a local, they bring tremendous insights and sensitivity in teaching children from their own village who continually face many disadvantages in pursuit of their studies. 

The Outcome

STUDENTS: 


A Student attends SRI's after school program and has accessed to more supportive environment and resources

 

Student gets into JNV and lands a formal job. Helps family to get out of poverty. 

BECOMES SELF - RELIANT

 

FELLOWS: 

A youth from the community joins the Nanhe Kalam Fellowship, gains skills and confidence to become an effective teacher.  

 

Becomes a role model for the community, inspires others to join.

Joins Government or private sector

 

BECOMES SELF - RELIANT
 

Other Scale-Up Models

Government Teacher Training Model

Our Government Teach Training (GTT) Models are crucial to retain the holistic nature of development. The idea is to train the  knowledge-givers to make the learnings of children more effective. This model is currently helping us create a sustainable chain of impact. It also helps tighten the loose strings that can cause attrition or fallout at the school level. 

 

In this model, we identify 30-50 motivated Government teachers in the district with the help of local government officials. Selected teachers receive training based on curriculum and module created by SRI. 

Copy of IMG-20191022-WA0003.jpg
Monthly Update Meeting with DC Mr. Pankaj with CMGGA Mridul Rewari.jpg

Partnership Model

Creating sustainable impact and scaling up of our models requires support and guidance. Our Partnership
(PT) Model takes care of creating relations as well as finding strong local support in our work areas. 

We partner with organizations and individuals working on primary education or with children enrolled on primary schools in India.  We look out for a partnership where SRI Implements initiatives and supports impact on the ground. 

This model focuses on sharing of resources such as  Curriculum, Fellow/Teacher Training, Assessment Sheets & Project Monitoring (Via App/ Processes). 

The key reason for successful intervention is community ownership. We are grateful for the involvement of parents, teachers, headmasters, Sarpanch and local administration in our work.